The adventures of a Westcoast boy and a Midwestern Jewish girl as they discover the truth beneath the myths of the South, embrace rural life by starting a sustainable farm, and learn how to teach sociology.

Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Kids say the darndest things

By kids I mean my students, not Baby Otto.

I'm teaching a course called Comparative Family this semester and we're currently reading a book about how the spread of mass education in a small village in Nepal (Junigau) has changed marriage formation behaviors. My students just read a chapter on the various types of media available in Junigau and how those sources of information are changing people's conceptualizations of love.

Below are two quotes from the response paper one of my students wrote (all typos and things of that ilk are direct quotes and I feel it noteworthy that this student is older than I am). Enjoy.

"The men in Junigau were in some ways like the men in the U.S..I think that the man is just suppose to be head of the family, but women can do some things better. I think I would just let them stay the leader and I would just follow my husband for the most part. I think that it is good that we have found our place in society, but I think he should let our husband direct the show."

"The thing about Junigau women is that back then they had to love the man regardless of if they were satisfied with the size of his penis or not. In the United States, some women think the penis size matters. So if they get married before they test out the material, they might be in for a rough life, especially if love just fell upon them. They will probably have to deal with being treated poorly and just taking anything from their husband. My hat goes off to the women in Junigau and the U.S. who get married for love and love only."

2 comments:

  1. Exactly the way I think!!! Are we in 2010 or in 1920???? It is crazy, good luck with that Sarah!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm sorry for that student on many counts. (Please note my temporary new profile name. I'm waiting for Baby to introduce her/himself.)

    ReplyDelete